Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I do love how the "World Spins Madly On."

by Charlotte Deaver

Although resisting her alliance with The Weepies until now, I've been a big fan of Deb Talan for a while. Like many others, I heard her song "Forgiven" trail with the credits of the movie "Lovely and Amazing," and was smitten by her unusual voice: a striking, intimate soprano, lilting and sugar sweet -- not candy-sugar, though, but granular, even pebbley.

I saw her at the Bitter End, oh, over a year ago, and was a bit disappointed by the band she was travelling with, which included her partner, Steve Tannen. I felt she was overshadowed by them. I wanted all Deb, and got this whole collective band thing. Imagine!

But now, with their latest digital pre-release, "Say I Am You," I am happy to report that this band thing really works! You can only download the CD via iTunes, but a hard-copy is on the way. Of course, I immediately downloaded two songs, both of which I love: "World Spins Madly On" and "Gotta Have You." Gorgeous. Glorious. Deb is back! With a band! Imagine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home 1aa3